A Word

***Wacken 2018 - view from the Jägermeister Deer

Live gigs are essential. Remembering them is sometimes even more fun (but writing tedious ;-). Short stories about great gigs - and the others as well. This is strictly non-commercial and just my humble taste/opinion.

15 June 2016

Moderat

Location: Arena, Baumgasse 80, 1030 Wien, Austria
A performance to remember. Harder than some metal act. No discussions about to which extent this is live music, because: This is life music ;-). And not less than the future of live performance.



Buddies: David, Andy, Dieter, we also met Claudia and Dieter
Score: 5/5
Merch: nope
Again? definitely




Open Air Arena is a rather large venue - yet this performance felt dense like in a small indoor place. Impeccable tough sound from the very beginning, which sometimes culminated to infernal levels. You feel the bass inside your spine. You feel the bass waves if you stretch out your hands.


Then it's finally dark, and the visual effects fully kick in. This is when you realize that this is not just another electronic act. It is what makes the difference to most other life performances. Similar to Laibach's performance, visuals are not just an underlying effect to the music, it is the second vital ingredient for a perfect experience.

Taking these videos became somewhat painful because it distracts me too much from this intense experience. And these shots can only show fragments of the overwhelming visual experience. Still I am happy that I took them because as said at the beginning, it's a performance to remember.




At the beginning, Moderat tells us that they would have come earlier if they knew earlier about that place. At the end, they promise to come again.  I take their word and will be there.

Update: After some days, I still am full of memories, which shows the impact of this gig. Some further observations.
- It really makes sense to go through the entire discography after such gig. With the fresh pictures in your mind and the different feel of the live versions, you will once again rediscover the music. For me this is true for Bad Kingdom and Intruder (where I now hear the bass much clearer).
- I am even more missing a live version of Finder, which I find extremely well done on the new album.
- You cannot overestimate the impact of the visuals for this music style, and it somehow stays in my memory when I now listen to it. This is why I am happy about the small video memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment