A Word

***Wacken 2018 - view from the Jägermeister Deer

Live gigs are essential. Remembering them is sometimes even more fun (but writing tedious ;-). Short stories about great gigs - and the others as well. This is strictly non-commercial and just my humble taste/opinion.

20 November 1992

Metallica

Location: Wiener Stadthalle, 1150 Vienna, Austria
It has been their 'Black Album' tour, so it's not unfair to say that it was one (if not the) peak of their career. Probably it has been the main metal act then, and these times were metal times for sure.


I always adored the 3D-Metallica logo, but persistently failed to properly put it on paper :-)

Video is from this tour, but very likely not Vienna




Buddies: Flyingsheep, Pez, Herb, Action, Han - (Rob and Rainer were also there)

Score: 5 our of five stars

Another gig? Rather not, it was too good then.


And so was the gig. Sold out, 360 degree stage with the fan pit (actually snake pit, thanks Rob for that) for the chosen ones. I always found it a bit freaky to be elected for that pit, or at least super-geeky. The gig was deafeningly loud - at least that's what I thought then. Jason Newsted played very well, and nobody could think of band cracks. It was one band in perfect harmony on stage. James Hetfield still had long hair and this brilliant Explorer guitar. His playing style is so energetic.I do not remember anything about a special guest appearance, so I guess there was none.



2 comments:

  1. Been there, done that ;) A friend of mine got picked for the "Snakepit" in the middle of the stage. Can't tell how jealous I've been...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I´ve also been there though I was no "buddy" that time ;-)

    ReplyDelete